This position will participate in the Indian River Lagoon Observatory (IRLO), a multi-disciplinary research program to investigate the ecological relationships in the Indian River Lagoon (IRL) and how they are impacted by natural and human-induced stressors. This scientist will work primarily on the IRLO Network of Environmental Sensors (IRLON) with the IRLO Principal Investigator and team, with an emphasis on overseeing and facilitating all analytical requirements in support of continuously monitored water quality instrumentation. The Analytical Coordinator is expected to pursue this work with general guidance from the immediate supervisor.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Oversee and facilitate all analytical requirements in support of continuously monitored water quality instrumentation.
- Responsible for the collection and analysis of samples following IRLON SOPs in all verification and validation activities.
- Having a thorough knowledge of the IRLON QAPP and all SOP’s specific to the analyses or task performed and/or supervised.
- Responsible for supervising all aspects of the QA/QC in the laboratory and that all requirements are met and documentation related to the analyses is completely and accurately reported.
- Enforces corrective action as required.
- Conducts in-house audits to identify potential problems and ensures compliance with IRLON SOP’s.
- Performs validation and verification of data before the report is sent to the IRLON Manager.
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in Environmental Sciences or related area of specialization and some appropriate experience with water quality analysis; or a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Environmental Sciences or related area of specialization and two years of appropriate experience with water quality analysis required.
- Extensive knowledge of chemistry and biology, state and federal laws and regulations regarding water quality analysis, laboratory principles, practices, procedures, equipment and materials, laboratory safety and hazard communication, proper labeling, use, storage and disposal of chemicals; sampling and analysis procedures for surface waters required.
- Ability perform laboratory analyses according to SOPs and make comparisons and inferences from data, collect samples and maintain their integrity and validity, read and interpret technical and operational manuals, guidelines and diagrams preferred.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and instruments, and evaluate situations that depart from expected behavior or results and initiate corrective actions preferred.
- Must be a motivated self-starter, capable of working independently as well as in a team environment.
- May require some weekend and/or evening work in addition to regular work hours.
- Valid driver’s license required.
Salary Range: $38,000 – $40,000
Special Instructions to Applicant:
- In order to be considered for a position, you must apply through this job website: www.fau.edu/jobs
- For more information on how to apply for a position, please review the applicable Applicant Tutorial. To contact Recruitment Services, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Florida Atlantic University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action/equal access institution and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. For communication assistance, call 7-1-1.Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711
- Final candidate will be required to have official, sealed transcripts and original NACES evaluation, if applicable, sent from their educational institution to Human Resources prior to the start of employment.
- Successful completion of a background check, which may include a motor vehicle check, credit check, fingerprinting or additional screening, is required for the selected candidate prior to the start date.
- A resume and a cover letter are required for this position. Make sure to attach these required documents in the Attachments section of the application. Any missing required documents may result in disqualification.